Kwashiorkor is a disease caused by the deficiency of protein. It suffers mainly the children under five years of age. The children lack enough protein after stopping breastfeeding as a result of next birth. Then, they will be malnourished in the lack of breast milk because breast milk contains enough and high quality protein. The patients are suffered from loss of appetite, swelling and diarrhea.
Symptoms of Kwashiorkor
- Swelling (oedema) of body due to retention of water. It starts from feet to head. But the skin of hip and legs are wrinkled.
- Retardation of physical growth and underweight.
- Skin cracks, descaling and wound.
- Different skin color. In some places, it is dark whereas in some place, it is light.
Prevention of Marasmus and Kwashiorker
- Increase community awareness on nutrition. Identify the patients and support for the treatment of them.
- Support for the treatment of them.
- In order to increase protein in the body, provide the food like milk, fish, meat, egg, beans (soyabean, gram, pea etc.) which are rich in protein.
- Physical check up and measurement of height and weight regularly.
- Provide nutrition and healthy education to parents.
- Provide local food and seasonal fruits instead of expensive instant food with low nutritive value.
- Manage treatment if the children are suffering from other infection disease.