Common cold is easily and highly communicable disease as it rapidly transmits from one person to another. Therefore, almost everybody is affected by it in Nepal. It is caused by filterable virus. It affects nose, throat, chest and many other parts of our body. When the patient sneezes or coughs, the viruses are spread in the air through the droplets. When we inhale the contaminated air, we are infected by it. Similarly, the infested utensils, handkerchiefs, etc. are the mode of its transmission.
Symptoms of Common Cold:
The symptoms of common cold are;
- At first, irritation in nose and throat.
- Nose and neck dry and patient slightly coughs.
- Then watery nasal discharge.
- Nose is closed, smelling capacity is lost and voice becomes hoarse.
- Sometimes, headache and fever.
- Eyes become wet.
The preventive measures of common cold are:
- Avoid common use of handkerchief, towel and utensils used by the patient.
- If impossible, use them by washing well with soap.
- Clothe according to weather, such as warm cloth in cold season.
- Patient should use handkerchief to sneeze or cough.
- Regularly eat green vegetables.
- Patient should take enough liquid matter and take rest.
- Take hot water-vapour and rest as a remedy but there is no medicine to treat it.